TCODG|道连·格雷的自白-X2·下(中英对照)

道连·格雷的自白:

道连·格雷的自白


X2 The Prime of DeaconBrodie 秘钥惊魂录·




听写:@两斤硫酸铜


翻译:@两斤硫酸铜  @哈姆林的透明子


校对:@两斤硫酸铜  @戚润薇  @哈姆林的透明子


全中文整理版:https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzIyNDA2MDYxNQ==&mid=2651310471&idx=3&sn=9b9493cf525e8f2ba2580ab76da66952&scene=23&srcid=0705gi7mGyEGF3kbrFQTIOUI#rd





Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Oh, thankheavens. It was a dream. It was a…wait a moment. No, that’s-that’s not myvoice. I don’t sound like that. I’m English. Not-not Scottish.


“噢,谢天谢地。只是个梦。只是个……等等。不对,这不是我的声音。我说话不是这口音的。我是英格兰人,不是苏格兰人。”


Oh Dorian.You really didn’t think this through.


“噢,道连,你做决定之前真是没想清楚啊。”


Damn legs.When did you get so long?


“该死的腿。什么时候变得这么长了?”


Oh no,this-this doesn’t feel good. It’s-It’s like being lost at the sea. Oh god, no.I think I’m gonna be sick.


“哦不,感、感觉不太好啊。像在海上迷失了一样。哦天哪,不要。我好像要吐了。”


Flora MacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Mr Gray! MrGray! Is that you in there causing a commotion? Are you alright?


“格雷先生!格雷先生!里面是你在吵吗?你没事吧?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’m fine.


“我没事。”


Calm down,Dorian. Calm down. For that is who I am. Dorian. Dorian Gray. No matter what Ilook like. No matter what I feel like. I am and will always be Dorian. DorianGray.


冷静下来,道连。冷静下来。因为这就是我的身份——道连,道连·格雷。不管我长成什么样子,我永远都是道连,道连·格雷。


Flora MacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Mr Gray,I’m using my key to unlock this door. I trust you’re decent.


“格雷先生,我要拿我的钥匙开你的门了。你穿得还能见人吧?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Don’tworry, Mrs. MacIntosh. There’s no problem.


“别担心,麦金托什太太。这里什么事都没发生。”


Flora MacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


I’ll be thejudge of that. I’m coming in.


“有没有事我说了算。我进来了。”


And whomight you be, young man?


“年轻人,你又是谁?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’m Dorian…Imean, Mr Gray’s manservant. Rory is-that’s who I am, I-I think.


“我是道连……我是说,格雷先生的男仆。是罗瑞,我是罗瑞,大概吧。”


Flora MacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Manservant,is it? There was no mention of such a thing. This is most irregular.


“男仆,是吧?没听他提到过啊。够出奇的。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Please, donot concern yourself. I won’t be here long.


“拜托您,就不要太担心了。我不会待很久的。”


Flora MacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Haven’t Iseen you before, laddie? Skulking around these streets with thebaron’s guising, scaring good folk half to death. You should beashamed.


“我是不是见过你,小伙子?扮着装在附近街上鬼鬼祟祟的,把好街坊吓个半死。你羞不羞啊。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Well that’shardly likely, is it? I only arrived this morning. And I must be heading outnow. I’ve a very important task. For my master, I mean. For Dorian Gray…who Iwork for…o-obviously.


“这怎么可能呢,是吧?我今早才到的。我现在也该走了。我手上有重要的任务呢。给我主人办的,我是说,给道连·格雷办的……我替他干活嘛……显而易见。”


In time,you get used to anything, even not changing at all. I was eighteen when BasilHallward painted my portrait and fixed me static as if my own bodyhad been recreated in a mutable oil. From that moment on, I wasyouthful, boyish, fresh, no matter what I did. I sometimes think my worstexcesses, my greatest depravities were an attempt to challenge that. A dare tosee if anything this world could offer would ever overwrite my flawless face.Of course, nothing did. The portrait took on everything.


时间长了,人什么都能适应,哪怕一成不变这种情况都能适应。我十八岁那年,巴兹尔·霍尔沃德给我画了肖像,让我永远静止,仿佛我的身体被人用某种特异的油画颜料重塑了一般。从那时起,不管我做了什么,我始终青春年少,充满活力。有时我会想,我之所以总是做最出格、最骄奢淫逸之事,都是在试图挑战这一点。以身犯险看这世上有无何事能撼动我无暇的面容。自然没有任何东西能做到这一点。画像承受了一切。


But now,suddenly, it was different. As I climbed Arthur’s Seat in search of James, mystride was faster, longer, the air moved through my chest at different rate.And yeah sometimes I coughed or stumbled or my head seemed to spin, but thatdidn’t matter. The green of the bracken, the brown of the mud, the silver, greyand red stone of the city below all looked different. Like I was seeing themfor the first time. Like I was newly alive.


但现在,突然之间一切都不同了。爬上“亚瑟王座”找詹姆斯时,我的步子迈得更大更快,空气出入胸腔的速度也不同。没错,我有时会咳嗽,走路有点跌跌撞撞,头还会昏,但这都不重要。蕨草的绿色,泥土的棕色,山下城市的银砖、灰砖、红砖,看上去全都不一样了。就仿佛我是第一次看到它们。仿佛我重获了新生。


I’m alive!I’m alive!


“我活着!我活着!”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Hey! Hey,what are you doing, man? Come, move back!


“哎!哎,干哈呢,老兄?回来,退后!”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Don’t yousee how amazing that is? Look at it! Look at the city.


“你不觉得特带劲吗?瞅瞅!你看看城里。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


One wrongstep up here and you’ll-


“要是踩岔你就——”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Therooftops. The castle. That downpour yesterday and now it’s all been washedclean. It’s sparkling.


“看屋顶。看城堡。昨晚上下了场瓢泼大雨,哎现在全给刷干净了。闪闪发亮啊简直。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Aye, it’s afair view. But you’ll be seeing it from a good deal closer if you’re notcareful.


“是,风景是好。脚下不小心点你就能凑近了看了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


A fair view? It’s the mutt’s nuts. The bee’s knees.


“风景好?这简直是杂种狗的杂果,蜜蜂的膝盖[1]啊[1] 。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Is thatphrases young folk use?


“年轻人现在都流行这么说?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Young folk?Aren’t you still young?


“年轻人?你不年轻?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


I don’tfeel it.


“我感觉不年轻。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Then actit. Come on. I’ll teach you. Repeat after me. This view is the cat’s pajamas.


“那就装嫩。来来。我教你。跟着我说。这风景真是猫睡衣[2]啊!”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


The cat’spajamas?


“猫睡衣?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Yeah,you’re getting it.


“对,你越来越熟手了。”


The cat’spajamas. What do cats need pajamas for anyway?


“猫睡衣。说起来,猫要睡衣做什么?”


Woah.


“哎呦。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Hey! Hey!Careful! I’ve got you now. I’ve got you.


“哎!哎!小心点。我抓住你了。抓住你了。”


You almostset us both over. Why don’t you just…er…why don’t you just step back a wee bit?


“你刚差点那我们俩都拖下去了。你不如……呃,不如退回来一点吧?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Yes, okay.Thank you.


“是,好。谢谢你。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


It’s funnyhow it hits you sometimes, isn’t it? The fact that you made it when othersdidn’t.


“真好笑,是吧,有时候自己会突然醒悟过来,意识到自己活下来了,其他人却没有。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


You know.You know, don’t you?


“你理解。你懂这种感受,是不是?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Yourclothes. Your behaviour. And, I’m no doctor but I can take a shrewd guess atwhat you’ve been through.


“你的穿着。你的行为举止。而且还有——我不是医生,但我也能猜得到你身上发生过什么。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


No, youdon’t know at all.


“不,你完全不明真相。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


No. No, Idon’t. Not yet, at any road. I’m James, by the way, James Anderson.


“是的。没错,我不了解。至少现在是绝对不了解的。对了,我是詹姆斯,詹姆斯·安德森。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’m…no, no,no, let’s not start like this, with lies.


“我是……不不不,我们不要这样开场,不要以谎言开场。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Don’tworry. You don’t have to tell me your name. You don’t have to tell me anything.We can just sit here, watching the world go by. If that’s what pleases you.


“别担心。你不用告诉我你的名字。你什么都不用告诉我。你要是乐意,我们可以就坐在这里,坐享浮生半日闲。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


It does.Very much so.


“我乐意。非常乐意。”


So peacefulhere, isn’t it? Like it’s miles away from anywhere.


“这里真祥和啊,是不是?好像离什么地方都有很远一样。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


That’s whyI come up here. I like to write.


“所以我才来这里。我喜欢写作。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Oh really?What sort of things?


“真的吗?写什么?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Justthoughts, letters, poetry, sometimes. I was just glancing up from my notebookwhen I spotted you dancing away on the edge like a loon.


“偶尔记点想法,写写书信、诗歌什么的。我刚刚就是从笔记本上挪开眼一会儿,就看见你在崖边像个疯子一样忘情起舞。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Sorry if Idisturbed you, larking about, going doolally like that.


“要是我那样到处蹦跶,发疯打扰到你了的话,真是抱歉。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Don’t be.It wasn’t a good day for writing. Sometimes the words won’t come when you want.God knows I needed them.


“别道歉。今天也不适合写东西。有时候就算你想也写不出东西来。天知道,我刚真的很需要写作点东西。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Butusually, when you’re not catching a mad person about to tumble off the cracks,you’d be scribbling away?


“不过通常,如果没撞到快掉下悬崖的疯子的话,你就只管涂涂写写?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Scribblingaway? You could say that. I used to have a friend. That’s what he’d call it.He’d ask why I was always writing. And I don’t think I knew back then.


“涂涂写写?可以这么说。我以前有个朋友,他就是这么说我的。我会问我为什么总在写东西。我想我那时候并不明白。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Do you knownow?


“那你现在明白了吗?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Maybe. Idon’t think I understand things, I don’t know how I really feel, so I put itdown on paper.


“也许吧。有时候我觉得自己有的事想不通,不明白自己的感受,就会把它写在纸上。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


It’s a goodskill to have, if it helps.


“要是能起到作用的话,也是个好技能啊。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Myfriend…he wasn’t like that at all. That wasn’t the way he-he lived his life. Heliked to jump right in and experience things that devil may care.


“我那个朋友……他完全不是那样的人。他、他不是那样子过日子的。他喜欢首当其冲,不顾一切地去寻找体验。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Sounds likea frustrating sort of friend.


“听上去像个挺恼人的朋友。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Oh, he was.Headstrong. Impulsive. Selfish.


“啊,他确实恼人。固执。冲动。自私。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Why onearth did you like him?


“那你到底为什么喜欢他?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


He alwaysdid and said exactly what he wanted. And that in turn taught me things aboutmyself. Things I might otherwise have never known.


“他总是随性而为,随性而言。他这个样子又让我更加了解了自己。让我了解到了我原本可能永远不会知道的一面。”


He hadthese sudden acts of kindness, too. Such spirit. Incredible generosity thatcame from nowhere.


“他有时还会突然发起善心。他那种精神气啊。不知打哪儿冒出来的,却慷慨得难以置信。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Probablyjust quirks. Expect it wasn’t like that at all. Even a cat stops scratching andpurrs once in a while if it gets what it wants.


“可能只是心血来潮吧。估计根本不是那样的。猫要是得到了想要的,也会停爪不挠还乐得呼噜几声呢。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


No, I don’tbelieve that. Not of him. In the end he-he was the-the best and bravest manI’ve ever known. I’m sorry. I-I don’t know why I’m telling you this.


“不,我不认为是这样。他不是这样的。他最终成为了、成为了我认识的人里最优秀也最勇敢的。对不起。我不知道我为什么在和你说这些。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


It’s fine.Maybe when you meet someone right on the edge, you get to say things youotherwise wouldn’t.


“没关系。也许面对在危险边缘遇到的人,才能说出平时说不出的话。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Like on thefront, you mean? In France?


“你是说,就像前线那样?像在法国那样?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Yes. Likehere, too.


“没错。也像在此地一样。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


That almostmakes a mad sort of sense. It’s hard to believe the war reached even here.


“这话好像自有其疯狂道理。很难相信战火甚至蔓延到了此地。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Tell meabout it.


“跟我说说。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


The Germanssent a Zeppelin to drop bombs. Just once. Believed me, I-I-I saw it. Terriblething. Every gun people could muster was turned skyward but the range was toogreat. They raged up at it and it just hung there like some monstrousthundercloud.


“德国人派了架齐柏林[3]来轰炸。就炸了一回。相信我,我亲眼看到了。那玩意真可怕。大家把能找得到的枪都朝天上指了,可是射程太远。他们向上朝它开火,它却只是像狰狞的乌云一样悬在半空。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Like an avatar of hell,


Impassive;


All the people trembled below.


“仿佛地狱的化身,


无动于衷;


目下万民颤抖。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian?


“道连?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Yes, James.It’s me.


对,詹姆斯。是我。


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Yesterday,I- 


昨天,我——


A man withhis face and now someone saying words we shared. The first poem I wrote.


昨天有个男人顶着他那张脸,如今又有人说起我们分享过的语句。说起我写过的第一首诗。


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


That night.Don’t you remember, James? We crept out your mum’s tenement, climbed up here,thinking we’d be alone. And then, the fire started. Burst of flame, leaping upfrom the warehouses on the coast while that evil thing hung in the sky. And weknew then that the madness had followed us. Even here.


“那晚。你不记得了吗,詹姆斯?我们从你妈的出租房里溜出来,爬到这山上,满以为可以独处。然后火就烧起来了。腾生的火焰,从海滨的仓库上跃起,那邪物则悬在半空。那时我们便了然,战争的疯狂随我们来了。此地亦不能幸免。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian. Itis you. I don’t know how it can be, but, it isyou. My God.


“道连。真的是你。我不知道这是怎么发生的,但是,真的是你啊。天哪。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Hello,James.


“你好,詹姆斯。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Wh…Why isthis happening?


“为……为什么会这样?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Don’tworry. Just accept it.


“别担心。只要接受现实。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


I feel I’mbeing tested or tormented somehow, I…


“我感觉像是有人在考验我,或者折磨我。我……”


It’s morethan I can bear.


“我承受不了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


God James, believe me. I didn’t do anything to hurt you.What I did, I did because of lo-


“天哪詹姆斯,相信我。我做的一切都不是为了伤害你。我做的事,都是出于爱——”


No, wait!Wait, I know that man.


“不对,等等!等等,我认识那个男的。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian,what’s the matter?


“道连,出了什么事?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Down there.That coat. That hat. That stride. That head of hair. How dare he?


“那边那个男人。那件大衣。那顶帽子。那步伐。那头头发。他好大胆?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


What’sgoing on? Who’ve you seen? I-I don’t follow.


“什么事?你看见谁了?我不太跟得上思路。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Like my ownreflection, stolen, and walking about. The arrogance of the man. James. Thatpath down there. Where does it lead to?


“就像镜子里的我被偷走了在到处走动一样。这人够嚣张的啊。詹姆斯,下面那条路通向哪里?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Past StAntony’s chapel, through Holyrood Park and back to the city. Dorian. Dorian,where are you going? Dorian, come back!


“经过圣安东尼教堂,穿过荷里路德公园,一路通回城里。道连。道连,你去哪儿?道连,回来!”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


You! Stop!Wright, or whatever it is you’re calling yourself, I want a word with you.


“你!停下!赖特,还是随便你现在叫什么,我来跟你唠唠。”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Am I toassume you’re addressing me, sir?


“您在跟我说话,先生?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


You’re damnright I’m talking to you. What do you think you’re doing?


“你他妈还说对了,我就是跟你说话。我以为你干嘛呢?”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Taking astroll in a bright winter’s morning, through the park getting to town. What’sthe matter with that?


“挑了个阳光明媚的冬日清晨出来散散步,穿过公园往城里走。有什么不对吗?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


A stroll?In my body? Like a new set of clothes?


“散步?穿着我的身体?跟穿了套新衣服一样?”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Is that…notthe appeal?


“吸引人的地方不正是这点吗?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


But…I neveragreed to that. That wasn’t the deal.


“但是……我没同意这点啊。我们不是这么约好的。”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Wasn’t it?I don’t believe you specified what I was to do with your original while it wasin my care. And a mighty fine fit it is, too.


“不是吗?你好像没具体说我该拿你原来的身体怎么办啊?还很合适呢。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I made onething clear to you. Cross me, and you’ll live…*cough*…to regret it.


“有一件事我跟你说得很清楚了。你敢惹我,你就活着*咳嗽* 慢慢后悔吧。”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


But haven’tI given you exactly what I promised? What you yearned for? A change of face, asecond chance to affect a touching reunion? Is it so wrong that I should have alittle fun myself?


“我不是已经给了你我所承诺的一切了吗?你所渴望的一切?换张脸,给你新的机会让你可以促成与故友的感人重逢?我自己乐呵一下就那么不好吗?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


It is, whenit involves stealing my identity. You’ll give it back.


“窃取我的身份就很不好。你得还回来。”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Oh. Will I?You know, I’m not altogether sure I shall.


“是吗?我会还吗?你知道吗,我还真不确定我要还了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’m warningyou, Wright.


“我警告你,赖特。”


Dorian-William Wright道连 - 威廉·赖特


There,there, Mr Gray. Take a moment. Catch your breath. If you’re able.


“好了,好了,格雷先生。慢慢来,喘口气,要是你还喘得过来的话。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


What’swrong with me?


“我怎么了?”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


A sadthing. Young Rory’s outward appearance is fair but his insides tell a differentstory. His lungs were affected by gas in that business over the channel andwill never recover. In fact, I believe his health will only get worse. He’sdamaged stock, you might say. So many young men are these days. I made a goodchoice when I chose you.


“凄惨啊。小罗瑞外表看上去不错,但内里可完全不同了。他在海峡对岸被毒气伤了肺,永远不会痊愈了。事实上,我相信他的健康状况只会每况愈下。他是残次品,可以这么说。时下好多年轻人都这样子了。我选你的时候可真是挑对货了。”


Haha,harder than you might think to hit back, Mr Gray. Couldn’t you bring yourselfto damage this handsome face? Or you just don’t have the energy?


“哈哈,要反击可没你想的那么容易,格雷先生。不忍心打这张俊脸?还是你根本没那个力气?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’ll stopyou, whatever it takes.


“我不会让你得逞的,无论付出什么代价。”


Dorian-WilliamWright 道连 - 威廉·赖特


Emptywords. Fortunately for me, my fists are hard, and my joints supple. You know?Of all the bodies I’ve taken these past hundred and thirty years, this mightyet be my favourite.


“一堆空话。幸运的是,我的拳头可硬着呢,关节也很灵活。你知道吗?过去这一百三十年里,我掠取过这么多身体,你的身体可能是我最喜欢的一具。”


Such vim. Suchvigour.


“多有精神!多有活力!”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


You…youwon’t get away with this. This body reverts in less than a day, and then I’ll-


“你、你逃不掉的。这两具身体还有不到一天就会换回来,然后我就会——”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Does it?You poor, vain fool. I lied about that, too. No, soon I’ll be presented as thenew owner of Brodie’s department store. A respectable young man, whereas you,oh, look at you, crawling on the ground, just another dirty, war-wounded idler.Who’d believe a single word you’d say?


“会吗?你个虚荣的可怜虫。在这上面我也撒了谎。不会换回来了,很快这副身体就会成为布罗迪百货的新主人。一位可敬的年轻人,而你,噢,瞧瞧你这幅样子,匍匐在地,只是又一个在战争中负伤、无所事事的脏鬼。谁会信你说的话呢?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


But-


“但是——”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Goodbye, MrGray. My advice it to enjoy what time is left to you.


“再见了,格雷先生。我建议你好好享受仅剩的光阴吧。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Wright.


“赖特!”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian.


“道连。”


Dorian, I-


“道连,我——”


I thoughtI’d lost you. Here, let me help you up.


“我还以为我跟丢你了。我扶你起来。”


Who is thatman?


“那人是谁?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Thedeacon’s key. Brodie.


“会长的钥匙。布罗迪。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


DeaconBrodie? What’re you on about, Dorian? If I should even call you that.


“布罗迪会长?你在说什么呢,道连?要是我还能管你叫道连的话。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Yes, youshould. And if you help me now, you’ll see.


“能,你就该叫我道连。你要是现在帮我,就会明白了。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Yeah, of-ofcourse I’ll help. Anything you need.


“帮,当、当然帮了。帮什么都行。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Then tellme what you know about the deacon. Deacon Brodie.


“那就给我说说会长的事。布罗迪会长。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Only whatany schoolboy would know. What good is that?


“我知道的那些,三岁小孩都能告诉你。能有什么用?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Humour me.


“迁就一下我。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Now thatsounds like my Dorian. Er…Let me see.


“这听着就像我的道连了。呃,让我想想。”


Er…DeaconBrodie…Merchant. And…society man by day, thief by night. Everybody knows that.


“呃,布罗迪会长。商人。还有……白天做正经人,晚上做贼。这些大家都知道。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


What else?


“还有什么?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Broke intohouses, stole…er, no, no, wait. He-He-He didn’t. He copied keys instead. Hestole patterns.


“他闯进别人家里,偷……呃,不对,不对,等等。他、他、他没有闯。他备份了钥匙。他偷的是钥匙模子。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I know allthat. Tell me more.


“这些我都知道。再跟我说点别的。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Alright.E-Er let me think. Er...He…Caught and put on trial. Hung on a gibbet he builthimself. Went to extraordinary lengths to escape the noose. There were storiesof a brace around his neck or a-a-a steel tube he swallowed down his throat.That it was all no good in the end.


“好了。呃,让我想想。呃,他……被逮捕了,上了法庭。在他自己造的绞刑架上给吊死了。费了不少力气要逃脱绞刑。据说他在脖子上安了个护套,还有说他喉咙里吞了根钢管。最后都没有用。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


That’s itthere.


“这就是了。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


What is? Idon’t understand any of this.


“什么是什么?这整件事我一点都不理解。”


First youcome back from the dead. An-And…the next you’ve got a different face.


“先是你起死回生,然、然后,再是你换了张脸。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Brodie musthave found a way to cheat death even then, by swapping out into another body,but-


“布罗迪一定在那时就找到了骗过死神的办法,逃到了别人的身体里去,但——”


But thattrial was his closest call. The nearest he ever came to death. It must scarehim still.


“但那场审讯他九死一生,是他最接近死亡的一次。直到今天一定仍让他心悸。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Now you’reasking about a legend. A-A bogeyman from hundred years ago.


“现在你又开始问一个传说的事了。问一个百年前的鬼故事。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


We’re gonnaneed rope. A strong one. This time we’re gonna hang him properly. And I willsee justice done.


“我们会用到绳子。得结实。这回我们得好好绞死他。我要替天行道。”


Findingrope did not take long. James was following me devotedly. I could tell he wason the edge. That all that was happening was at the very limits of histolerance. His understanding. I should have stopped, spoken to him, reassuredhim. I should have taken notice. But as I returned to Brodie’s departmentstore, my only thoughts were to take revenge on Wright and claim back what wasrightly mine. To hell with the consequences.


找绳子没用多久。詹姆斯一心一意地跟随着我。我能看出来他已近崩溃边缘。发生的一切都在挑战他的忍耐力和理解力。我能看出我那时应该停下来,和他谈谈,让他定定心。我应该留意到的。但在回布罗迪百货的路上,我唯一的想法就是向赖特复仇,取回本该属于我的一切。管他妈的什么后果不后果的。


Where ishe? Where’s Wright?


“他在哪?赖特在哪儿?”


You there.Never mind milling about. Get Wright for me now.


“那边那个。别晃悠了。给我把赖特找来。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian,I-I’m not sure this is a good idea.


“道连,我、我不确定这是个好主意。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’m not asubtle man, James. It’s not my nature. I might have changed what I look like,but not who I am.


“我这人不会兜圈子,詹姆斯。这不是我的性格。我样子也许变了,但我的本性没变。”


Salesman 售货员


Sir, loweryour voice. This is a respectable establishment.


“先生,请您小点声。我们这儿是正经场所。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


It’s not.It’s a sham. A fiction to preserve one man’s life.


“这地方才不正经。这就是个骗局。被编造出来给某人续命的。”


Salesman 售货员


You can’tgo through there. It’s not allowed.


“你不能过去那里。那里是严禁进入的。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Just youtry stopping me.


“你倒试试阻止我。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


They aren’tfollowing.


“他们没跟上来。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Of coursethey’re not. Wright would’ve told them this whole part of the store wasforbidden, even to them.


“当然没跟上来。赖特肯定跟他们说过商场这个区是绝对严禁进入的,连他们也不能进。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


You can betthey’re calling the police, though.


“但他们肯定叫警察了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Then you’dbetter get that door locked, hadn’t you?


“那你就该锁上门了是不是?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


If…er…Ifthat’s what you want.


“如……呃,如你所愿。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Wright!Wright! Come out and face me, man.


“赖特!赖特!你给我出来见我。”


I knowyou’re in here.


“我知道你在这里。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


What isthis place? Look at all those mannequins standing there?


“这是什么地方?看看这些杵在这儿的假人?”


Oh-Oh my.Dorian. Dorian. I think I see them breathing.


“哦哦天哪,道连。道连。我觉得我好像看见它们呼吸了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Who caresabout them? They’re not important.


“谁在乎他们啊?他们不重要。”


Wright! Iwill have what’s mine!


“赖特!属于我的东西我会取回来的!”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


But look atthem, Dorian. They’re alive! Why don’t they move or say something? I-I…Why dothey just stare?


“但是看看他们啊,道连。他们是活的。他们怎么不动也不说话?我、我……他们为什么只会直勾勾地盯着?”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


They don’tmove because they’ve no soul left. They’re barely people at all.


“他们不动是因为他们没有灵魂了。他们几乎不是人。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Ha! Wright!Skulking behind the changing room curtain? Seems fitting somehow.


“哈!赖特!躲在更衣室的帘子后面呢?不知为何感觉很适合你啊。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Notskulking at all. Such a fine, healthy body you’ve bequeathed me, Mr Gray. Itwould be a pity not to dress it up in the best that Brodie’s department storehas to offer. Appropriate for the new owner, don’t you think?


“完全没在躲。你赠予我这么一副精致、健康的身体,格雷先生,不给它穿上布罗迪百货里最好的衣服简直糟蹋了。百货的新主人就该这么穿,你不觉得吗?”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


But that’you! He’s you! The man I knew back in the trenches! The-the man who came to meyesterday!


“但那是你!他是你!我在战壕里认识的那个人!昨、昨天来找我的那个人!”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


And will beme again. Very soon. I promise.


“很快就又是我了,我保证。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


You reallythink so?


“你真这么觉得?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’ll makeit happen, I assure you.


“我会确保事情这样发展的,我向你保证。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


But-butwait. Dorian, if he’s in your body, then this new body of yours, thisfair-haired man that you are now, then he must have come from here. He musthave been one of those mannequin people.


“但、但是等等,道连,如果他在你的身体里,那你现在这个新身体,你现在替的这个金色头发的人,他肯定也是从这儿来的。他一定也曾是这些假人中的一个。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


But ofcourse.


“那当然。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


So whatbecame of him? Where’s the person he used to be?


“那他后来怎样了?这副身体里过去的那个人呢?”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


A very goodquestion, Mister…Anderson, isn’t it? And one your friend never thought to ask.


“问得很好,这位……安德森先生,是不是?你朋友就没想到要问这个问题。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian,what have you got yourself into?


“道连,你搅和到什么事里去了?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Doesn’tmatter. Wright’s probably got him locked up somewhere in someone else’s body.


“不要紧。赖特多半把他锁在别的随便哪个人的身体里呢。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


I’m afraidnot. No, regrettably, Rory as a person, doesn’t exist at all anymore.


“恐怕我并没有这么做。不,很遗憾的是,罗瑞这个人呢,已经不复存在了。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


I’m sorry?


“什么?”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Oh it’sperfectly simple. There’s a unique quality to the deacon’s key. It only worksflawlessly for the person who made it.


“哦,很简单的。会长的钥匙有一样特质——它只会对制作人完美发挥出全部功效。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Ha! Youmean you? Some eighteen centurywardrobe maker and petty thief? Ha! Forgive me but I don’t think you have theskill.


“哈!你是想说你自己吗?某个18世纪的衣柜匠兼小偷?哈!原谅我,但我真不觉得你有那技术。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


I found theoriginal in a vault, deep beneath the university. The metal so old, it wasbrittle with age. But I knew it was special. I copied the pattern, cut it anewand that made me its master. I keptthe key close to my heart. When they caught me and put me in the TolboothPrison, I listened to its whisper. And only if I put my trust in it, would Iever leave that dank room alive.


“我在大学地下深处一个金库里找到了钥匙原物。金属都老化得发脆了。但我知道它不一样。我复制了钥匙的样式,重新制了一把,于是钥匙的主人就成了我。我把钥匙贴身收藏。他们逮捕我,把我丢进市政厅监狱后,我用心聆听钥匙的细语。我只有全心信任它,我才有机会活着离开那个晦气地方。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


So you madea deal with the darkness and got to live beyond your years. D’you know, that’salmost funny. You slipped into another’s body and let them hang someone else inyour place.


“于是你与黑暗力量作了交易,得以延长寿命。你知道吗?这事还真有那么点好笑呢。你溜进别人的身体里,让他替你被他们绞死。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


TheTolbooth jailor was my first, a crude lump of a man, with fists like hams. Ididn’t stay in him long. But every transition since, I have learned one thing,and one thing only. The power of the deacon’s key only works for me.


“我第一个偷的身体是监狱看守的,一坨肉,粗人一个,拳头跟火腿一样。我没在他体内待很久。但在之后的每一次转换里,我只学到了一件事,那就是会长的钥匙只对我起效。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


That’s alie. I wouldn’t be here in this wreck of a body if that were true.


“骗人。这话要是真的,我就不会在这里了。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Ah. Anyonewho holds the key and participates in the transmigration process, their soulatrophies with each leap until there’s sadly nothing left at all. Anyone exceptme, of course.


“啊。任何一个持有钥匙并参与转换的人,他们的灵魂都会随着每次跃转而萎缩,直到最后悲惨地一无所有。当然,这说的是除了我以外的任何人。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian,those men, the mannequins, look at their eyes. They’re empty.


“道连,那些人,那些假人,看看他们的眼睛。他们内里空无一物。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Precisely.


“这是。”


They’reonly husks, leftovers. And none of them perfect.


“他们只是空壳,残渣。而且没一个完好的。”


James Anderson 詹姆斯·安德森


They’re walking bundage.[2]  That’s horrible.


“他们就是行尸走肉。太可怕了。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Now do yousee? One shift from your original body to your current one can be done and hasbeen. But try to shift back and you’ll start to lose words, memories,everything.


“现在你懂了吧?从原来的身体换到你现在的身体是办得到的,而且也已经办到了,但试图换回来,你就会丢失词汇、记忆,以及一切。”


Which isworse, Mr Gray? A few more years as you are? Or to become like one of them?


“哪样更糟,格雷先生?在目前的身体里多活几年,还是变成他们那样?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I’ve toldyou before, Wright. I have no soul to lose. And that makes what I have to do alittle easier.


“我之前就跟你说过了,赖特。我没有灵魂可失去。所以我接下来要做的这件事也就更好下手了。”


Do you seewhat I have with me? A strong rope. Take a good look at it, Wright. It has along overdue appointment around your neck.


“看见我拿的什么了吗?是根结实的绳子。好好看清楚喽,赖特。它早该绞在你的脖子上了。”


Dorian-WilliamBrodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


You wouldn’t do that. Not your own body.Your own flesh.


“你不会下手的。你不会对自己的身体、自己的血肉下手。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Dorian, stop. None of this is right.


“道连,停手。这整件事都错到了极点。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


You’re not gonna side with him now? Let himsteal my identity,  everything I am orever was?


“你不是现在要站在他那边了吧?让他窃取我的身份,窃取我的过去、我的现在?”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


No. No, I’m not. Of-Of course not.


“不是。不,我不是要这么做。当然不了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Then you’re gonna have to help me. BecauseI’m not sure I have the strength to do it alone.


“那你就得帮我了。我不确定我一个人有力气完成此事。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


You’ll forgive me, gentlemen, if I makeother arrangements. I think we’ll close early today.


“原谅我,二位,我另外有约。我们今晚提前打烊。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Stop him, James.


“拦下他,詹姆斯!”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


He can’t get out. I’ve locked thepassageway like you said. And I-I-I took the key.


“他出不去的。我照你说的把走廊的门锁上了,还拿走了钥匙。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Good work.


“干得漂亮。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Let me out! Do you hear me out there? Letme out if you can hear me! Send for help!


“放我出去!外面的人听见了吗?听得见就放我出去!找人帮忙!”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


The staff are timid mice, Wright. Theywon’t hear you. You don’t let them come back here. How do they even find theirway? James, grab him.


“你的员工比耗子还小心呢,赖特。他们听不见的。你又不让他们来后面这里。他们怎么找得着道呢?詹姆斯,抓住他!”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


This is wrong. So wrong.


“这样不对。太不对了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Just do it, while I tie a slipknot in thisrope. Look at it, Wright. This is what you’ve been waiting for all this time.


“照做就是,我呢,就拿这绳子系个活结。瞅瞅,赖特。你一直以来在等的就是这个。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


I’ll make a deal with you. What do youwant? Money? Influence? Power? I’m a respected man. You can have it all.Anything.


“我跟你交易。你要什么?钱?地位?权力?我很受人敬重。这些你全都可以要。什么都可以。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


I just want what’s mine. Return me to mybody and this will all be over. Hold him steady.


“我只要属于我的。把我换回我的身体,这一切就结束了。把他抓稳了。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


No.


“不。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


James, tie his hands.


“詹姆斯,绑住他的手。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


No.


“不。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Let me get this rope around his neck.


“让我来把这绳子套到他脖子上。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Don’t you understand? I can’t go back now.The old me was worn out by the time you came here. I had to have a change.There’s nothing left to leap back to now.


“你不明白吗?我回不去了。你来的时候,我过去的身体已经损伤严重。我必须换个身体了。已经没有我可以回归的身体了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Not my problem. So now, you have a choice.You tell me where the deacon’s key is, or…


“这不是我要关心的事。现在,我给你一个选择。告诉我会长的钥匙在哪里,否则……”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


I won’t tell you! I don’t believe you’llpull that rope.


“我不会告诉你的!我不信你会拉紧绳套。”


I don’t believe you’ll stare at your ownface, look in your own eyes and-


“我不信你会看着自己的脸,看着自己的眼睛然后——”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Hold his arms, James. Believe me, Wright.This is no trouble at all.


“抓住他的手臂,詹姆斯。信我,赖特。这么做一点都不难。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


God forgive me. This is so wrong. So wrong.


“老天原谅我。这样做太不对了。太不对了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


How long can a man go without air do youthink? I tell ya, you’d be surprised.


“你觉得人没了空气能撑多久?我告诉你吧,答案会让你吃惊的。”


Things getting uncomfortable for you yet?


“开始不舒服了吗?”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Let him go, Dorian. I can’t do this. Ican’t watch him, that body, dieagain.


“放开他,道连。我做不到。我没法看着他,看着那具身体,再次死去。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Go on then. Choke me. Strangle me. I stillwon’t tell you a thing. You kill this body, and there’s nowhere for you tojump back to.


“来啊。绞死我。勒死我。我还是什么都不会跟你说的。你杀死这具身体,就没有身体可以回去了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Strange you should say that. You’re wrong,of course. A thing about my body, the one thing about perfect Dorian Gray is, Idon’t age and I don’t injure. My portrait feels the burden but I soon heal. Irecover and start again.


“你这么说还真奇怪啊。不过你当然是错的。我这副身体——完美的道连·格雷呢,有这么一个特点,我不会衰老,也不会受伤。我的画像承受一切负担,而我很快就会痊愈。我恢复原状,然后重新开始。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Then I’m safe. Because you can’t kill me.


“那我就安全了。你杀不了我。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


No, you’re right. You won’t stay deadforever. But that doesn’t mean you won’t die. And it doesn’t mean it won’thurt.


“没错,你说得对。你不会停留在死亡状态,但这不代表你不会死,也不代表不会痛。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


No. That can’t happen. I-


“不。不会发生的,我——”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


And that means I can pull this rope tall asoften as I like. I can kill you, Wright, over and over again. I can give youthe execution you escaped all those years ago as many times as it takes. I havenothing to lose.


“这也就意味着这个绳套我想拉紧多少次就能拉紧多少次。我可以一次又一次反复杀死你,赖特。你多年前逃脱的死刑,我需要行多少遍就可以行多少遍。我没什么可失去的了。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


Alright. Alright. Enough. I’ll tell you.


“好了。好了。够了。我告诉你。”


The deacon’s key. It’s hidden in plainsight, damn you.


“会长的钥匙,就他妈藏在你眼皮子底下。”


It should be here, in the lock to thedepartment’s door.


“应该就在这里的,插在通往百货店的门的锁上。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


But that means I took it. It’s in mypocket.


“那就是说钥匙被我拿走了。它就在我口袋里。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Excellent. Top-hole. Hand it over.


“太棒了。完美。递过来。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Or what? You’ll choke me to death as well?


“否则呢?你就会把我也勒死?”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


No, James. It’s not like that. Please, youknow I’d never hurt you.


“不,詹姆斯,不是这样的。拜托,你知道我永远不会伤害你的。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


You’ve hurt me already, Dorian. Take it. Iwant no more of this.


“你已经伤到我了,道连。拿去。我再也不想搅和到这事里了。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


Well, there’s no more to be done. I holdthe key’s handle, and Wright, you take the teeth. Do it, or I’ll pull the ropeagain.


“也好,也没有别的要做的了。我拿钥匙把手,赖特,你拿着钥匙齿。照做,不然我就又拉绳子了。”


Dorian-William Brodie 道连 - 威廉·布罗迪


I wasn’t bluffing. What I told you beforewas true. It only works perfectly for me. Your soul will be lost in thetransition back to your body.


“我不是唬你。我之前跟你说的是真的。要是只对我发挥全效。你的灵魂会在换回原体的过程中丢失的。”


Rory-Dorian Gray 罗里 - 道连·格雷


And what I said was true as well. I have nosoul to lose. But I do have a very strong sense of who I am.


“我之前说的也是真的。我没有灵魂可以失去。但我很清楚我是谁。”


Because I am Dorian Gray, born November 8th,1862. At the age of 18, Basil Hallward painted my portrait and my life thenchanged forever. But in spite of that, and everything that’s happened to me, Iam and always will be Dorian Gray.


“因为我就是道连·格雷,1862年11月8日出生。十八岁那年,巴兹尔·霍华德画了我的画像,从此改变了我的人生。但尽管如此,尽管发生了那么多事,我都是道连·格雷,也永远会是道连·格雷。”


Rory/Dorian 罗里 / 道连


I’m Dorian. Dorian Gray.


“我是道连。道连·格雷。”


Dorian Gray.


“道连·格雷。”


Dorian Gray.


“道连·格雷。”


Dorian Gray.


“道连·格雷。”


Ahhhhhhh…


“啊啊啊啊……”


Dorian Gray 道连·格雷


I’m back. I’m who I should be. Oh, finally.


“我回来了。我的身体是对的。哦,总算好了。”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Oh you’re awake. Ah yeah at last.


“啊,你醒了。哎呀总算醒了。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


Er…I’m sorry, Mrs. MacIntosh, but…what areyou doing in here? In my room?


“呃,不好意思,麦金托什夫人,但是……你在这做什么?你在我房里做什么?”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Fine way to talk to me, well I’ve beenwatching you as tender as a mother. Three days. Whole days and nights you’velain there.


“语气不错啊,我还跟你妈似的好好照料你来着。三天啊。你在这躺了整整三天三夜。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


Three days?


“三天?”


You mean to say I’ve been back that long?


“你是说我已经回来那么久了?”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Ever since Mr Anderson brought you here.


“从安德森先生送你回来以后,三天过去了。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


James? He came back with me?


“詹姆斯?他跟我一起回来的?”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


He half dragged half carried you in fromthe street, allowing yourself to be seen in a state like that.


“他把你从街上半拖半背回来的,你这幅样子都让大家伙儿瞧见了。”


Oh, what must the neighbours think?


“哎哟,左邻右舍怎么想啊?”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


A plague on your neighbours.


“操他们祖宗十八代。”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Indeed. Well, now you’re awake I want youup and out. I’m not having you here, giving my good house a bad name.


“没错了。好了,既然你醒了,就起来滚蛋吧。我可不能让你接着待在这里,搞臭我们店的名声。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


Oh it will give me the greatest pleasure toleave, believe me.


“离开这里我再高兴不过了,信我。”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


Arrived at Halloween. Comes back from thedead. Oh, I’ve never seen the like. You’ll find your bill on the dresser, MrGray, soon as you’re ready to settle. And there’s a letter from Mr Anderson aswell.


“万圣节来到这里,又起死回生。哎哟还真没见过你这样的。你要是什么时候准备好结账的话,账单就摆在梳妆台上,格雷先生。还有封安德森先生留的信。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


Is he still here?


“他还在吗?”


FloraMacIntosh 弗洛拉·麦金托什


He’s here no longer. And I’m not surprised.What’s a decent gentleman like that doing with the likes of you is beyond me.


“已经走了。我倒不觉得出奇。他这么体面的绅士,跟你这种人怎么会走到一起我真是想不通。”


Good day to you, Mr Gray.


“祝您走好,格雷先生。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


Monstrous old bat.


“老蝙蝠怪。”


Now, let me see.


“好了,来看看。”


JamesAnderson 詹姆斯·安德森


Mydear Dorian,


亲爱的道连,


   This isn’t an easy letter to write. I’msaying goodbye to you for a second time, but I’m forcing myself to be strong.Dorian, when I knew you before. You were the one good, true thing in that awfulplace. Now you’ve come back. God knows how. Or maybe it’s not God I should beasking, because…I think you’ve changed. And I don’t just mean your appearance.


这封信写起来非常不容易。这是我第二次与你道别,但我在逼着自己坚强起来。道连,我之前认识的你,是那个糟糕的战场上唯一一样真实、美好的东西。如今你回来了,只有上帝知道你是怎么回来的,也许我该问的不是上帝,因为……我觉得你变了,而且变的不仅仅是你的容貌。


   When I saw you strangle that man, that manwith your face, Dorian. When I saw you threaten to kill him over and over, Iknew I could take no more. I’ve seen enough brutality to last my lifetime.


在我看到你试图勒死那个人,那个长着你的脸的人时,道连,在我看到你威胁反复杀死他时,我知道我再也没法承受了。我这辈子已经见足了暴力。


   You gave your life for me, Dorian. And bythat act, you saved and damned me all at once. I’ve carried the guilt and thewonder of that ever since. But, what does that sacrifice mean from a man whotells me he can’t die? Who can get back up and shrug it off? I think perhaps itmeans nothing at all.


你把你的命给了我,道连。你此举拯救了我,也同时让我万劫不复。自那时起,我便一直背负着对此事的愧疚和惊奇。但这样的牺牲,对于一个告诉我他死不了的男人来说,意味着什么呢?对于一个事后仍能起身,耸耸肩,抛之脑后的人来说,意味着什么呢?也许毫无意义。


   I’m sorry


对不起。.


Dorian Gray 道连·格雷


Oh, James. It did mean something. That’swhy I came to find you. It meant everything.


“啊,詹姆斯。它对我来说是有意义的啊。所以我才会回来找你。这件事对我来说意味着一切。”


The taxi that carried me back to Waverleystation passed by Brodie’s department store. There were wooden boards upagainst the picture windows and a sign that read ‘Closed until further notice’.That gave me some satisfaction at least.


送我回韦弗利火车站的出租车开车经过了布罗迪百货。百货的大落地窗上盖着木条,还有个标志,上面写着“歇业,敬候通知”。这起码让我稍感满足。


RailwayPorter 铁道员工


Platform five for the three o’clock trainto London King’s Cross. All aboard. All aboard.


“五号站台三点去往伦敦国王十字车站的列车。请上车。请上车。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


I thought again of James’s poem. Not Animals But Men, he called it. Ithink in the end that was the problem. I’d shown him who he truly was and yes,I’d saved him, too. And that, for him, had put me on the side of the angels.But people aren’t like that, are they? They dance about on the edge back andforth, from good to bad, angel to demon, all the time.


我再次想起了詹姆斯的诗。他给它取名《人非野兽》。我想最终问题就出在这里。我让他认识到了他自己的本性,并且,没错,我也救了他。这就让他在心里把我放在了天使那边。但人并不是这样的,是不是?人总在边缘来回舞蹈,从好到坏,从天使到恶魔。


I was never meant to be an angel. They haveso very far to fall.


我从未想要做天使。天使堕落起来的路可长着呢。


I can only be me. One person. Dorian Gray.Whatever that might mean.


我只能做我自己。一个人。道连·格雷。管这到底意味着什么呢。


I settled back in my seat, waiting for thetrain to take me away from this grey, old city with all its terriblecontradictions. Its smart exteriors and hidden secrets. I raised my hand in anironic farewell. And, to my surprise, the gesture was returned. A fair-hairedyoung man doffed his hat across the platform.


我在自己的座位上坐好,等着火车把我带离这座灰暗的老城和城中糟糕的矛盾。离开它醒目的外表和隐藏的秘密。我举起手,讽刺地挥别。令我惊讶的是,我这个动作得到了回敬。一个金发年轻人在平台对面脱帽敬礼。


Rory-WilliamBrodie 罗里 - 威廉·布罗迪


Until the next time, Mr Gray. Have a safejourney.


“下回再见了,格雷先生。一路顺风。”


Dorian Gray  道连·格雷


It can’t be. Brodie?


不会吧。布罗迪?


He turned and beckoned. And from around theplatform, a group of blank-faced men moved to follow him, boarding a train togod-knows-where. But then the platform was lost from view in steam and smokeand I saw no more. I know he’s still out there, though, somewhere. Just as Iam. And I suspect, he always will be.

他转身比手示意。从平台一侧,一队面无表情的人动身跟随他,上了一辆不知通往何方的火车。然后平台就在水蒸气和烟雾里消失了,我再也看不见什么。不过我知道他还在世上某处。就像我一样。而我怀疑,他会永存于世。



[1] 蜜蜂的膝盖,bee’s kness,意思是渺小、不值一晒的东西,是当时新出现的流行语。


[2] 猫睡衣,cat’s pajamas,也是当时的流行语,意思是新奇,叹为观止的景象或事物。


[3] 齐柏林,即著名的“齐柏林飞艇”,德国研制的一种飞船,一战时用它来对协约国投弹。









评论
热度(9)

哪里都叫这个名,这里大概会主攻冷圈。Thrill Me LnL|花滑|空军组|道连格雷的自白|宝冢|舅男|法扎|哨兵|法革|亚赫|姜糕|Janto|汤金VOY|Achilles/Patroclus|JCS犹耶|宽街+西区伉俪|Orestes/Pylades|ER|御手洗/石冈

© 戚润薇 | Powered by LOFTER